Accessible Customer Service Policy
A. Purpose Topsy Farms Ltd. is committed to meeting its current and ongoing obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting non-discrimination. Topsy Farms Ltd. understands that obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and its accessibility standards do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code or obligations to people with disabilities under any other law. Topsy Farms Ltd. is committed to complying with both the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA. Topsy Farms Ltd. is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities. Our accessible customer service policies are consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities.
Topsy Farms Ltd. is committed to excellence in serving all customers, including people with disabilities.
In accordance with the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 165/16, this policy sets out the standards by which Topsy Farms Ltd. will provide goods and services to individuals with disabilities.
Topsy Farms Ltd. shall, upon request, supply a copy of the policies, practices and procedures to any person.
• Assistive Devices – any auxiliary aid such as communication aids, cognition aids, personal mobility aids and medical aids (i.e. canes, crutches, wheelchairs, or hearing aids).
• Disabilities – a broad range and degree of conditions, some visible and others not. A disability may have been present from birth, caused by an accident, or developed over time. It includes physical, mental, and learning disabilities, mental disorders, hearing or vision disabilities, epilepsy, drug and alcohol dependencies, environmental sensitivities, as well as other conditions. (the same as definition of disability found in the Ontario Human Rights Code)
• Employees – any person who deals with members of the public or other third parties on behalf of Topsy Farms Ltd., whether the person does so as an employee, agent, volunteer or otherwise.
• Persons with disabilities – individuals that are afflicted with a disability as defined under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
• Service Animals – any animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.
• Support persons – any person whether a paid professional, volunteer, family member or friend that accompanies a person with a disability in order to help with communications, personal care or medical needs, or with access to goods or services.
Training for Staff
Topsy Farms Ltd. will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf.
This training will be provided to new staff within 30 days of their start date, and to existing staff prior to January 1st, 2012. Staff will also be trained when changes are made to the plan.
Training will include:
• An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
• Topsy Farms Ltd.’s plan related to the customer service standard
• How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
• How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device, or require the assistance of a service animal, or a support person
• How to use the assistive devices available on-site that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities
• What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Topsy Farms Ltd.’s goods and services
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. People with disabilities may bring their service animals on the parts of our premises that are open to the public or other third parties.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruptions
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Topsy Farms Ltd. will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason
for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Topsy Farms Ltd. provides goods and services to people with disabilities can provide feedback through several methods:
Verbally, in person or over the phone: to the manager at (613)389-3444
E-mail, to: firstname.lastname@example.org; subject ‘Accessibility Feedback’
Feedback form, available request.
All feedback will be directed to the Manager.
Where requested, customers can expect to hear back within 5 business days. Where possible, complaints will be addressed within the specified time period. However, some complaints may require more effort to address, and may be reviewed at a higher level. In such cases, customers will receive acknowledgement in the requested method within 5 business days, and feedback within 15 business days.
Customers that require documents provided in alternative formats should notify the staff member they are dealing with, or can contact the Manager using any of the contact information listed below.
Topsy Farms Ltd. will make a reasonable attempt to provide the document in the requested format. If the requested format is not available, staff will work with the customer to determine an appropriate solution.
E. Modifications to This Or Other Policies
Any policy of Topsy Farms Ltd. that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
F. Questions About This Policy
Questions about this policy may be addressed to the Manager:
In person/by mail: 14775 Front Road, Stella, ON, K0H 2S0
By phone: (613)389-3444
By e-mail: email@example.com