About Topsy Farms
100% pure wool blankets, bedding, sheepskin products, and unique experiences from a Canadian family farm.
Topsy is a cooperative, multi-generational family farm at the western end of Amherst Island, in Lake Ontario. Those who work and live here are deeply committed to the environment in which they live. We plant trees and hedgerows and are a certified Monarch Way Station. No pesticides are broadcast on our land.
Topsy Farms wool comes from a well-cared for flock of 600 breeding sheep that graze tree-shaded pastures. The sheep are raised as naturally as possible, birthing in spring following the directions of their bodies. No growth hormones are used. Our blankets are washed in natural soap, producing a softer, lanolin-rich wool that will last a lifetime.
The people at Topsy Farms care about the community and the environment. Members have:
- produced and edited the Amherst Island Beacon newsletter for 40 years (now available free on line)
- been members of the Island First Response and Volunteer Department
- been members of provincial agricultural advisory bodies and sheep associations
- coordinated fresh food produce pickup from Island gardeners to Kingston shelters and food programs
- have supported or been members of many Island services and community activities (see Great Outing to Amherst Island - Day or Weekend) also visit the Amherst Island website
- were instrumental in organizing our local community cafe, The Back Kitchen
We welcome visitors to our on-line store, to our farm gate shop, The Wool Shed and to the activities we offer seasonally - shearing, nurturing orphan lambs and various workshops.